The vegan diet comes to the forefront of society with many vegan celebrities. Several reasons support their diet changes, such as choosing to not support animal cruelty. Another reason is because of their health and looks, a big issue for celebrities who are in television and movies.
- Ellen DeGeneres – both Ellen DeGeneres and her spouse, Portia de Rossi, are vegans because of their love for animals. Once they saw a documentary on caged animals, Ellen DeGeneres said it was an easy decision for them to quit eating meat and dairy products.
- Mike Tyson – Mike Tyson has recently gone to the vegan diet, slimming down in the process, while also spending hours in the gym to build up his strength. His reasoning was to remove “drama” from his life and become a better person through the vegan diet’s benefits.
- Demi Moore – for anyone who knows Demi Moore it should come as no surprise she is a vegan. What is a surprise is the fact she is one of the celebrities who is now part of the new raw vegan food movement that is entering mainstream America.
- Robin Williams – another popular celebrity who is part of the new raw vegan food movement is Robin Williams. Recently having heart surgery, going vegan is part of trying to avoid further heart attacks and staying healthy.
- Alicia Silverstone – Alicia has been quoted as saying “Going vegan is the single best thing I’ve done in my life. I am so much happier and more confident. I made a decision based on my moral beliefs.”
- Sandra Oh – one of the top doctors on Grey’s Anatomy, Sandra Oh is also a vegan and has promoted this diet with her co-stars by taking them out to a 100% cruelty free lunch at the “True Vegan” in Hollywood. She feels it is a lifestyle, not a dietary choice.
- Woody Harrelson – when Woody Harrelson went on his vegan diet, he saw an increase in energy and in a healthy glow to his skin. His diet included raw beans, nuts, and vegetables. When he was a teenager, he had terrible skin problems and gave up dairy products at the suggestion of a friend. From then on his health and skin improved.
- Joaquin Phoenix – a vegan actor who played Johnny Cash in “Walking the Line,” His sister Summer is married to Casey Affleck (Ben’s younger brother) who is also vegan and is planning on opening a vegan restaurant in L.A.
- KD Lang – a famous singer, KD Lang, was treated violently with bomb threats and burning pictures of her on her mother’s lawn when she went on a meat free diet. “Who would have thought people who slaughter cattle with their bare hands could be violent?”
- Tobey Maguire – Tobey has been meat free since 1992. When he had to bulk up for his role in Spiderman, he got his protein by eating lots of tofu.